Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the "Access Request" Program?

The Access Request Program is designated for persons with a Mobility Disability to submit requests to the City of Los Angeles to remove or remediate access barriers in the public pedestrian facilities - such as sidewalks, curb ramps, crosswalks, etc.

An "Access Barrier refers to conditions that make traveling on these pedestrian facilities difficult or impossible. These barriers are often not in compliance with federal and state disabled access requirements, such as the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design. Please refer to #4 for more details.

2. How is "Mobility Disability" defined?

“Mobility Disability” means any impairment or medical condition that limits a person’s ability to walk, ambulate, maneuver around objects, or to ascend or descend steps. A person with a Mobility Disability may or may not use a wheelchair, scooter, electric personal assisted mobility device, crutches, walker, cane, brace, orthopedic device, or similar equipment or device to assist her or his navigation along the pedestrian right of way including sidewalks, curbs, crosswalks, and pathways.

3. Who may submit an Access Request?

Any individual with a Mobility Disability (or a representative acting on behalf of said individual) may submit an Access Request.

4. What information must be provided to submit an Access Request?

An Access Request shall include the requestor’s first and last name, address and other contact information. 

When an Access Request is submitted by someone on behalf of a person with a mobility disability, the relationship, the first and last name of the individual who has a disability and the preferred contact information (email address or phone number or address) shall be provided. Please refer to FAQ #5 for more details. 

For requests submitted by City staff or representatives of the City, the first and last name and preferred contact information for the person with the disability shall be provided.

The request shall also include:

5. What types of barriers can I request the Access Request Program to make?

The Access Request Program can remove any barriers that cause non-compliance with applicable Accessibility Laws, such as:

6. How is the scope of the project determined?

The scope of the repair is determined by the request. The request should indicate the barrier experienced by the person with a Mobility Disability and the barrier to be removed. If the request is unclear, a representative from the City will need to reach out to you for clarification. From there, based upon ADA Standards and engineering judgment, the City will determine the final scope of work.

7. How do I submit a request?

Applicants can submit an Access Request by completing a Service Request to the City in the following ways:

8. How are Access Requests prioritized?

Consistent with the Willits Settlement Agreement, Access Requests are reviewed and investigated in the order received. The selection and timing of the construction of projects occurs in accordance with the City Council approved Sidewalk Repair Program Prioritization and Scoring System under Council File No. 14-0163-S3. 

Priority is assigned to requests in a residential area (15 points), locations within 500 feet of bus stops or other forms of public transit (15 points), and requests that exceed 120 days (15 points).

9. What is the wait time for an Access Request to be completed?

Currently, the estimated wait time for completion of an Access Request with a score of 45 is 3-6 years from the date submitted. This is subject to change. The estimated wait time for completion of an Access Request with a score of 30 is in excess of 10 years. This is subject to change. Please do not re-submit additional Access Requests for the same barrier, as this causes additional delays and does not improve the priority score. 

We appreciate the requests and we take the requests seriously. Unfortunately, there is a delay given the significant number of Access Requests received from individuals with mobility disabilities. Despite the City’s efforts to reduce the wait time, the overwhelming need and number of requests currently outweigh the available resources.

10. Will the City contact me?

As your request advances in the queue, City officials may need to contact you for clarification. The City will contact you through your stated preferred method of communication. If the City is not able to reach you after 3 attempts over the period of 3 months, your request will be on hold until we hear back from you.

11. Is the Department on Disability (DOD) involved with my Access Request?

Yes. DOD will review each request and determine eligibility (see question #2); no medical proof of disability is required. In partnership with DOD, the City’s ADA Coordinator for Pedestrian Rights of Way will assist in the processing of the Access Requests.

12. Does the Department on Disability have alternative contact methods such as TTY or videophone for my Access Request?

Yes. DOD has established dedicated voice, videophone, and TTY lines, as well as accessible email and website features to engage and support our constituency.

13. I don’t have a Mobility Disability, but I have a broken sidewalk/curb ramp request. How do I get the City to fix it?

In accordance with the Los Angeles Municipal Code, the owner of the Lot shall maintain the sidewalk in front of their property.

Here are some ways to initiate sidewalk repair in front of your property:

14. What if damage has been caused by a Street Tree?

The Urban Forestry Division of StreetsLA shall determine the necessary street tree work required to complete the sidewalk repair. This could include actions such as, but not limited to, enlarging the street tree well, sidewalk ramping, sidewalk minimizing, meandering sidewalk, root and canopy pruning, or removal. If the street tree requires removal, City policy requires a 2:1 street tree replacement to removal ratio requirements for years 1-10, 3:1 for years 11-21, and 2:1 for years 22-30. A City Arborist shall determine the street tree replacement species and locations.